1. Evaluate two (2) key changes in the Samsung's management style from the company's inception to the current day. Indicate whether or not you believe the company is properly managed today. Provide support for your position.
2. Explain senior management's role in preparing the organization for its most recent change. Provide evidence of whether the transition was seamless or problematic from a management perspective. Provide support for your rationale.
3. Evaluate management's decision on its use of vendors and spokespersons. Indicate the organizational impact of these decisions.
4. As a manager within Samsung, suggest one (1) innovative idea that could have a positive impact on both the employees and customers of the company. Indicate the approach you will take in implementing the new idea. Provide support for your suggestion.
5. Predict Samsung's ability to adapt to the changing needs of customers and the market environment. Indicate one (1) key change in the management structure that may be beneficial to ensuring such an adaptation to change. Provide support for your prediction.
Please use the information in the document attached along with references to build your paper.
Samsung has undergone a series of changes to transform is position from being just a manufacturing company to a company which is well known across the world for its product designs. Samsung has used excellence in design to differentiate them from competition. It took several phases of changes to improve design capabilities from people, processes and systems.
Management at Samsung and Changes
Samsung has strong Japanese roots as when it was founded South Korea was one of the Japanese colonies. The company was built upon consumer electronics, memory chip and LCD panels. Samsung witnessed high growth through unrelated diversification and vertical integration. A hierarchical labor model was adopted and compensation and promotions were based on seniority. To compete with outside markets Samsung had to go beyond its well integrated system to deal with non-Korean markets. The CEO at time, Lee started embracing business practices from the Western world. To broaden the horizon of the company he followed a two way strategy- to bring talent from outside and to send insiders abroad. It introduced a focus on innovation into a company optimized for continuous process improvement (Sakho, 2011) and had a major impact as the company started developing its own innovative products. Seniority based promotion and pay gave way to merit based systems. This system helped create a better relationship with employees and encouraged them to be more open in expressing their ideas and creativity.
Another change that took place was to create a more upscale brand image for the company. It was done by putting all advertising in one place with an aim to create a global brand image for Samsung's products.
Lastly, there was reconstruction of firm's bureaucratic structure to enable faster approvals for new product budgets and ...
The document provides an overview of traditional management practices at Samsung and how these have changed. Attached in Word.
Research The Samsung Group (http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/samsunggroup/).
Using your readings, the Library, and the Internet, and any additional resources necessary, you are being asked to complete the following sections of a Strategic Audit (See examples starting on page 78 and appendix 11.C):
Analysis of Strategic Factors. Since you are aware that your analysis of strategic factors or SFAS (Strategic Factor Analysis Summary) is based on IFAS and EFAS tables, and since we will need to understand your choices, you are required to submit the three tables in Excel format in one separate file from your written Word assignment. No comments are needed on the IFAS and the EFAS tables, but comments are needed on the SFAS table, which is the foundation for this assignment (You will submit one Excel file that will include three separate sheets, one for the IFAS, one for the EFAS and one for the SFAS). As a reminder, two files are to be submitted: One Excel file (counting for three pages) and one Word file (five to seven pages double-spaced). You will be graded on your knowledge of the software and math in building the MS Excel tables, and on your ability to communicate in writing and present your arguments.View Full Posting Details