I need to help with this problem
Johnson Electrical produces industrial ventilation fans. The company plans to manufacture 72,000 fans evenly over the next quarter at the following costs: direct material, $1,440,000; direct labor, $360,000; variable manufacturing overhead, $450,000; and fixed manufacturing overhead, $900,000. The last amount includes $72,000 of straight-line depreciation and $108,000 of supervisory salaries. Shortly after the conclusion of the quarter's first month, Johnson reported the following costs:
Direct material.............. $432,500
Variable manufacturing cost....152,000
Other fixed manufacturing overhead 239,000
Dave Kellerman and his crew turned out 20,000 fans during the month a remarkable feat given that the firm's manufacturing plant was closed for several days because of storm damage and flooding. Kellerman was especially pleased with the fact that overall financial performance for the period was favorable when compared with the budget. His pleasure, however was very short lived as Johnson's general manager issued a stern warning that performance must improve and improve quickly, if Kellerman had any hopes of keeping his job.
1. Explain the difference between a static budget and a flexible budget.
2. Which of the two budgets would be more useful when planning the company's cash needs over a range of activity?
3. Prepare a performance report that compares budgeted and actual costs for the period just ended(report that Kellerman likely used when assessing his performance).
4. Prepare a performance report that compares budgeted and actual costs for the period just ended( report that the general manager likely used when assessing Kellerman's performance).
5. Which of the two reports is preferred? Should Kellerman be praised for outstanding performance or is the general manager's warning appropriate? Explain, citing any apparent problems for the firm.
The solution explains performance evaluation using a flexible budget