1. Define natural competency?
2. What is a serial dilution?
3 True or False. You can use plaque assay to determine the number of a lysogenic phage?
4. Can a spectrophotometer be used to measure viable counts of bacteria in culture?
5. Is transmittance or absorbance directly related to the concentration particles present in a solution?
6. Add 1 ml sample to 9 ml diluent → 1:10 (1/10, or 10-1or -1) dilution
Add 1 ml sample to 99ml diluent → 1:100(1/100, or10-2 or -2) dilution
Add 0.1ml to 0.9 ml diluent → ? dilution
(use the 1st two examples as a guide to do the 3rd one).
1. Natural competency of an organism is the competency developed depending on the physiological state of a cell. E.coli is not naturally competent. Bacillus is naturally competent.
Two examples of induction of natural competency
(1) Competence based on cell density
(2) Competence based on poor ...
Solution to microbiology questions on competency, lysogeny & dilution is provided and discussed.