Name six factors affecting the performance of an enzyme.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com December 24, 2021, 11:16 pm ad1c9bdddf
SOLUTION This solution is FREE courtesy of BrainMass!
There are a number of factors that can affect enzyme activity. Here are six:
1. Temperature (Each enzyme works best at a certain pH and temperature, its activity decreasing at values above and below that point.)
2. pH (Enzymes have an optimal pH. A change in pH will affect the charge on the enzyme's amino acids and thus affect the shape which ultimately affects the performance).
3. Water activity (Water activity is a measurement of water content. Enzyme stability is influenced significantly by water activity due to their relatively fragile nature. Most enzymes and proteins must maintain conformation to remain active. Maintaining critical water activity levels to prevent or entice conformational changes is important to enzyme performance).
4. Ionic Strength (The ionic strength of a solution is a measure of the concentration of ions in that solution)
5. Chelating agents (Chemicals that combine with ions and remove them from the reaction)
6. Reducing agents (A chemical that reduces other substances by donating an electron or electrons)
This is a good article discussing the above factors: http://class.fst.ohio-state.edu/fst605/605p/EnzymeFactors.pdf© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com December 24, 2021, 11:16 pm ad1c9bdddf>