Matching: Match the following hormones to the correct descriptions.
a. steroid hormones b. peptide hormones
1. ___ lipid-soluble molecules derived from cholesterol; can diffuse directly across the lipid
bilayer of a target cell's plasma membrane.
2. ___ various peptides, polypeptides, and glycoproteins.
3. ___ one example involves testosterone, defective receptors, and a condition called testicular
4. __ hormones that often require assistance from second messengers.
5.___ hormones that bind to receptors at the plasma membrane of a cell; the receptor then
activates specific membrane-bound enzyme systems, which in turn initiate reactions
leading to the cellular response.
6. __ lipid-soluble molecules that move through the target cell's plasma membrane to the
nucleus, where it binds to some type of protein receptor. The hormone-receptor complex
moves into the nucleus and interacts with specific DNA regions to stimulate or inhibit
transcription of mRNA.
7.__ water-soluble signaling molecules that may incorporate anywhere from 3 to 180 amino
8. __ involves molecules such as cyclic AMP, which activates many enzymes in cytoplasm that,
in turn, cause alteration in some cell activity.
9. __ glycagon is an example.
10.__ cyclic AMP relays a signal into the cell interior to activate protein kinase A.
Matching: Match the hormone to its corresponding action.
1. ___ ACTH A. stimulates egg and sperm formation in ovaries and testes.
2. ___ ADH B. targets pigmented cells in skin and other surface coverings; induces color changes in response to external stimuli and affects some behaviors.
3. ___ FSH C. stimulates and sustains milk production in mammary glands.
4. ___ STH (GH) D. stimulates progesterone secretion, ovulation, and corpus luteum formation in females; promotes testosterone secretion and sperm release in males.
5. ___ LH E. induces uterine contractions and milk movement into secretory ducts of the mammary glands.
6. ___ MSH F. stimulates release of thyroid hormones from the thyroid gland.
7. ___ OCT G. acts on kidneys to conserve water required in control of extracellular fluid volume.
8. ___ PRL H. stimulates release of adrenal steroid hormones from the adrenal cortex.
9. ___ TSH I. promotes growth in young; induces protein synthesis and cell division; has roles in adult glucose and protein metabolism.
Related to the endocrine system, this solution provides assistance with a matching exercise, and adds a helpful hormonal chart and related links.