Matching: Match the following hormones to the correct descriptions.
a. steroid hormones b. peptide hormones
1. ___ lipid-soluble molecules derived from cholesterol; can diffuse directly across the lipid
bilayer of a target cell's plasma membrane.
2. ___ various peptides, polypeptides, and glycoproteins.
3. ___ one example involves testosterone, defective receptors, and a condition called testicular
4. __ hormones that often require assistance from second messengers.
5.___ hormones that bind to receptors at the plasma membrane of a cell; the receptor then
activates specific membrane-bound enzyme systems, which in turn initiate reactions
leading to the cellular response.
6. __ lipid-soluble molecules that move through the target cell's plasma membrane to the
nucleus, where it binds to some type of protein receptor. The hormone-receptor complex
moves into the nucleus and interacts with specific DNA regions to stimulate or inhibit
transcription of mRNA.
7.__ water-soluble signaling molecules that may incorporate anywhere from 3 to 180 amino
8. __ involves molecules such as cyclic AMP, which activates many enzymes in cytoplasm that,
in turn, cause alteration in some cell activity.
9. __ glycagon is an example.
10.__ cyclic AMP relays a signal into the cell interior to activate protein kinase A.
Matching: Match the hormone to its corresponding action.
1. ___ ACTH A. stimulates egg and sperm formation in ovaries and testes.
2. ___ ADH B. targets pigmented cells in skin and other surface coverings; induces color changes in response to external stimuli and affects some behaviors.
3. ___ FSH C. stimulates and sustains milk production in mammary glands.
4. ___ STH (GH) D. stimulates progesterone secretion, ovulation, and corpus luteum formation in females; promotes testosterone secretion and sperm release in males.
5. ___ LH E. induces uterine contractions and milk movement into secretory ducts of the mammary glands.
6. ___ MSH F. stimulates release of thyroid hormones from the thyroid gland.
7. ___ OCT G. acts on kidneys to conserve water required in control of extracellular fluid volume.
8. ___ PRL H. stimulates release of adrenal steroid hormones from the adrenal cortex.
9. ___ TSH I. promotes growth in young; induces protein synthesis and cell division; has roles in adult glucose and protein metabolism.
Related to the endocrine system, this solution provides assistance with a matching exercise, and adds a helpful hormonal chart and related links.
Senses and Endocrine System
The endocrine system plays an important role in our ability to handle stress. Hormone release associated with the stress response can help us to survive and handle crisis situations. However, chronic stress can result in unregulated release of stress hormones that can have negative effects on the brain and our immune systems. prepare a 2-3 page paper in which you:
Describe the difference between acute and chronic stressors
Describe the stress response and the effects of cortisol release on the human body. (With which division of the nervous system is the stress response associated?)
Discuss and label the components of HPA axis and its feedback mechanisms.
Discuss the pathologies associated with dysregulation of cortisol, focusing on the brain and the immune system.
Engage in independent research to learn about diseases of the endocrine system. You may want to begin your search in the book, Human Anatomy and Physiology: Cortisol: Physiology, Regulation, and Health Implications, on your ebrary bookshelf.
Select "Ebrary"from Trident's Online Library website: https://coursenet.trident.edu/onlinelibrary_main.php
You will find the readings on the Anatomy and Physiology I Ebrary bookshelf which can be accessed via this link as well:
Ebrary bookshelf (folder): http://site.ebrary.com/lib/tourou/viewFolder.action?sharedKey=DKSFJONSEEDWBRRYAZOBDBDMKFLLPYHR&userName=trmurray
Bobick, J and Balaban, N. "Sensory System," and "Endocrine System" Handy Anatomy Answer Book. Visible Ink Press. MI, USA. 2008. eISBN: 9781578592326
Brooks, Arthur. "Endocrine System." Systems of Our Body. Global Media. Delhi, India. 2007. eISBN: 9788189940829View Full Posting Details