I need help answering some communication topics: Emotional Intelligence, Strategies for Managing Interpersonal Conflicts, and Gender & Culture in Interpersonal Communications. The paper I am writing about is a reflective paper about language and different culture and how they communicate within their culture or outside their culture. Along with my paper I need to use three of the topics below to demonstrate how it applies in my topic.
1. Explain the principles and misconceptions in effective interpersonal communications.
2. Identify the barriers to effective interpersonal interactions.
3. Describe the process by which self-concept is developed and maintained.
4. Assess their personal communications and improve their communication competencies.
5. Develop strategies for active, critical, and empathic listening.
6. Recognize how words have the power to create and affect attitudes, behavior, and perception.
7. Understand how perceptions, emotions, and nonverbal expression affect interpersonal relationships.
8. Define emotional intelligence and its role in effective interpersonal relationships.
9. Evaluate appropriate levels of self-disclosure in relationships.
10. Describe strategies for managing interpersonal conflicts.
11. Recognize how self-concept and defensive and supportive messages and behaviors create positive and negative communication climates.
12. Understand the impact of gender and culture on interpersonal communications.
Hello. As you requested, the solution below provides assistance. I have chosen 3 questions to tackle and provided references for them so that you can do further research on them should you need to expound on them some more. If you have any questions regarding the solution, just leave a message via the feedback section and I'll try and clarify things for you. A word version is attached for easy printing and digital use. Good luck with your studies and thank you for using Brainmass.
OTA 105878/Xenia Jones
Q8: Emotional Intelligence
Emotional Intelligence or EQ is a set of 'competencies' - the ability of an individual to recognize his own moods, mindset and behavior as well as that of others in order to manage a situation, negotiate or mediate conflict or issues despite the emotional and personality differences of people, including him/herself, involved in the issue. This is the opposite of IQ or intelligence quotient where decision making and human capacities are based on logic and intellect as IQ is based on a test where the capacity of one to answer problems ranging from abstract to general information is measured (i.e Binet-Simon test). It does not mean however that the two are mutually exclusive. Ideally, one should have high competencies for both. A successful political & business leader for example will no doubt have good EQ and IQ scores as their competencies in both allow them to 'read' the emotions and behavior of people as well as use their intellect to come up with solutions to problems before them - they can position themselves, coax and negotiate effectively as they can manage their own emotions,deal with that of others and use logic to come with working solutions. Now, EQ has become essential in management because by identifying its main concepts, people can now manage their own biases and prejudgments in order to read the situation in front of them carefully with clarity. The issue that most of us have at times with our coworkers are based on a personal bias and we have ...
The solution provides assistance to the student in tackling this particular homework. It discusses questions 8 (Define emotional intelligence and its role in effective interpersonal relationships), 10 (Describe strategies for managing interpersonal conflicts) and 12(Understand the impact of gender and culture on interpersonal communication), providing ideas, input and information in the main discourse behind them and about them as topics of concern in communication management. References have been listed for the purpose of further exploration of the topic. A word version of the solution is attached for easy printing and download.