Explore BrainMass

Explore BrainMass

    Suggested Research Paper Information on Teen Depression

    This content was COPIED from BrainMass.com - View the original, and get the already-completed solution here!

    Can you please help me with a topic for human development a class research paper. I decided I wanted to do something with young adolescents or I need to have 10 sources related to the topic and I need to do a annotated bibliography.

    © BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 2, 2020, 1:57 am ad1c9bdddf

    Solution Preview

    Dear Student,
    Hi and thank you for using Brainmass. As I understand it, you are asking for assistance in putting together a paper on a human development topic with a focus on adolescents. The topic that I have chosen below has a lot of materials that you can use. Below I have suggested why the topic is interesting to study, then gave you an outline that you can use to write your paper (assuming that it is a short paper of 1200 words but this can be extended, not a problem) and a list of resources that you can use presented in an annotated bibliographic entry. If you have any questions, just let me know via the feedback section. Good luck with your studies and thank you for using Brainmass.

    OTA 105878/Xenia Jones

    Suggested Topic

    Teen depression - depression is a mood disorder that is a state of an all-encompassing low mood, low self-esteem, low of interest in anything pleasurable or any kind of activity. Depression encompasses a range of low mood states but at its worst, it is a mental illness that grips the mind and emotions of those afflicted where feelings of deep sadness, melancholy, loss and even grief debilitate the abilities of a person to function. In teens, depression, especially Major Depressive Disorder or MDD is disabling in that it affects the teen's school life and social relations, the teen's family but most especially the way the teen sees herself/himself in the general scheme of things. Depressed teens feel detached from the world, feel no hope for the future and are prone to self harm. If depression is left untreated, it can lead the teen to much more serious issues - dependency on drugs for example, problems in school and at home, self-hatred and self-harm, or worse, deadly violent behavior (i.e. as in the case of the Virginia Tech shooter) and suicide.

    According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) in a 2010 report, between 2006-2008, suicide is the third leading cause of death in young adults from 15-24 years old. Over 90 percent of those who commit suicide fall under the category of MDD that grew undetected which, at some point, could have been treated. This is the reason why I believe that this topic is very relevant. Today, 1 out of 8 teens suffer some kind of depression but only 30% of this is ever treated being that parents and teachers are not really adept at understanding the symptoms of depression which leads the other 70% to struggle, with some getting worse and a percentage of them suffer ...

    Solution Summary

    The solution provides assistance, insight and advise on a topic for a human development research paper. The topic put forth in this solution is 'teen depression'; an outline for the paper is suggested and a list of bibliographic resources is also provided presented in the form of a suggested annotated bibliography.