Please discuss the presentation of self. It is focused on the influences of feeling, gender, and humor. Also, please include the role of the family, schools, and peer groups and their influences on the presentation of self.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 8:57 am ad1c9bdddf
See the attachment.
It is commonly accepted that a Sociologist named Erving Goffman back in 1959 first introduced the concept of Presentation of Self. His theory basically revolves around the idea that life is like a theater. What we see acted out in front of us occurs through human and social interaction. As this occurs, we begin to develop a sense our own 'self' and portray that in front of others through role-playing. Basically, we become the performers, acting out our self-being for all to see (Goffman, 1959). Since that time, Sociology has embraced this idea and focused on a discussion of how feeling, gender, and humor influence the presentation of self. In addition, there are other ...
The influences on feelings, gender and humor are provided. The role of the family, schools and peer groups and their influences on the presentation of self are given.
Please help me with the following:
1. Examine the social constructs of feeling, gender, and humor. How do these relate to the presentation of self? Provide examples that show the correlation between the influence of society and how we present ourselves.
2. How do different groups influence a person's presentation of self? Take into account the different factors of a group, such as group size, leadership, group conformity, and social diversity. You do not need to go in-depth about each, but address a few.
3. How important do you believe social interaction is in the socialization process? Examine and explain the idea of a status, and determine which one you believe is most influential in socialization. Make sure to provide rich, beneficial examples.
4. According to Macionis (2011), socialization is the process by which people learn culture and develop their human potential. How do you believe social isolation hinders the development of an individual's human potential?
5. Examine the challenges related to the evolution of formal organizations. How does the changing nature of work benefit (or hinder) the employee?
6. Identify the role of the family in the upbringing of a child, and determine its importance as a primary social group. Identify the characteristics of a secondary group and why it would be detrimental for a primary group, such as a family, to become a secondary group.View Full Posting Details