I need notes with at least 700 words that focuses upon the following:
1) Is the United States of America a multicultural country? Why?
2) Why is multiculturalism a controversial issue for some people?
3) How can the three sociological perspectives (social functionalism, social conflict, and symbolic interaction) be used to conceptually understand multiculturalism?
Please provide me references. I need notes not an essay.
(1) Is the United States of America a multicultural country? Why?
Research shows that the United States is a fast growing population of diverse citizens. Trends are presented to show that as ethnic and racial groups continue to shift demographically, especially here in the United States, the pluralities and complexities that exist within various groups of people also change (Watson (2011).
(2) Why is multiculturalism a controversial issue for some people?
Some studies suggest that in recent years, multiculturalism has been a failure both in Europe and the West. The criticism has a lot to do with "gendered cultural practices in a diverse society" (Gozdecka, Ercan, & Kmak, 2014). For example, tension between different cultures co-existing is stated as problematic when attempting to bring cultures together. As an example, Gozdecka et al note that the status of women in multicultural policies has generated a lot of controversy. Narain (2014), agrees and asserts that gender equality is tied to issues focused on practices such as: (a) gender equality, (b) underage marriages and (c) veiling. In addition, debates regarding gender in the politics of cultural difference serve simultaneously to name certain communities ...
This solution examines multiculturalism from three sociological perspectives, focusing on topics such as America, controversial views, social functionalism, social conflict and symbolic interaction. All references used are included.