Read the seminal article on applied behaviour analysis by Baer, Wolf, & Risley (1968). This was the first article published in the Journal of Applied Behaviour Analysis, and set the groundwork for moving behaviour analysis away from laboratory settings and into the applied settings of community, schools, and homes. Complete a learning journal on this article discussing whether you feel that the information presented in this seminal article is still relevant to the work of a behaviour analyst today.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 8:48 am ad1c9bdddf
According to Baer, Wolf, & Risley there are seven dimensions of Applied Behavior Analysis. These dimensions are (1):
1. Applied - deals with problems of proven importance in society
2. Behavioral - deals with measurable behavior or reports of measurable behavior if the reports are valid.
3. Analytic - requires an unbiased validation of evidence that the procedures caused the effect.
4. Technological - described sufficiently that they can be applied by anyone ...
The solution discusses the applied behavior analysis.
Functional Behavior Assessment Articles
1. Take a look at the following article from the Kaplan Library where a functional behavioral assessment was conducted:
Alter, P.J., Conroy, M.A., Mancil, G.R., & Haydon, T. (2008) A comparison of functional behavior assessment methodologies with young children: Descriptive methods and functional analysis. Journal of Behavioral Education, 17, 200-219.
Describe and identify the specific assessment measures that were used in the study. Why were these particular assessment measures used in the study you selected? Describe the findings of the functional behavioral analysis. What specific assessment measures could you add or remove? Why?
2. Take a look at the following article from the Kaplan Library that evaluates an indirect method of assessment:
Caregivers' Agreement and Validity of Indirect Functional Analysis: A Cross Cultural Evaluation Across Multiple Problem Behavior Topographies; Viues-Ortega et al., J Autism Dev Disord (2011) 41:82-91
Discuss the pros and cons of the measure in terms of accuracy and reliability. Select another type of indirect method (structured interview, checklists, rating scale, questionnaire, etc.) and discuss for what purpose that assessment could be used.