(support with peer-reviewed articles,apa)
- What are some historical considerations influencing the current popularity of directive approaches in play therapy?
- How might our current knowledge about the centrality of what is relational inform our integration of non-directive work with a directive approach in play therapy?
Childhood influences on directive approaches
(1) What are some historical consideration influencing the current of directives approaches in play therapy?
Research suggests that young children with developmental cognitive delays experience unusual difficulties in establishing relationships with their peers and in developing relationships. Thus, childhood influences such as family life and children's cognitive, communication and behavioral characteristics influence the development of their social processes. Guralnick (1999) presents evidence that a lot of children's peer-related social competence is due to these factors. For example, according to Guralnick, problems exist in the developmental abilities of the child with delays to establish relationship with their peers and to develop friendships. The reason suggested is that a developmental pattern has been established in early-care-giver child relationships (e.g. attachment patterns or continuity regarding specific characteristics such as attentional difficulties) that can be associated with peer relations and friendship abilities established by the child's preschool years. In direct approaches, the therapist must consider these relationship patterns such as family and social influences on cognitive development (a directive approach); or childhood experience on personality development.
(2) How might our current knowledge about the ...
This solution discusses the popularity of Play therapy approaches
Identifying factors that contribute to a disorder
Can you read (the attached) Jennifer's Case Study.
- Identify the physical and physiological factors that may have contributed to Jennifer's disorder(s).
- Identify the social and cultural factors that may have contributed to Jennifer's disorder(s).
- In an attempt to learn more about Jennifer and her physical and physiological concerns and to ultimately provide meaningful treatment, analyze and provide a rationale for using each of the following methods:
*Child-centered play therapy.
*Use of games.
*Filial family therapy.
- Identify and describe the criteria that counsellors need to meet in order to become certified in each of these modalities.
Use APA style and cite and reference your article.