#108. 108. Comparing wind chills. Use the formula from Exercise 107 to determine who will feel colder: a person in Minneapolis at 10°F with a 15-mph wind or a person in Chicago at 20°F with a 25-mph wind.
#132. Top bond fund. An investment of $10,000 in the Emerging Country Debt Fund in 2001 was worth $24,780 in 2006 (www.money.com). Use the formula from the previous exercise to find the 5-year average annual return.
114. Area of a triangle. Find the exact area of a triangle with a base of _3_0 meters and a height of __6 meters
116. Orbit of Venus. If the average radius of the orbit of Venus is 0.723 AU, then how many years does it take for Venus
to complete one orbit of the sun?
104. Time to swing. The period T (time in seconds for one complete cycle) of a simple pendulum is related to the length L
(in feet) of the pendulum by the formula 8T2 _ _2L. If a child is on a swing with a 10-foot chain, then how long
82. Diagonal brace. The width of a rectangular gate is 2 meters (m) larger than its height. The diagonal brace measures
_6_ m. Find the width and height.
90. Foul ball. Suppose Charlie O'Brian of the Braves hits a baseball straight upward at 150 ft/sec from a height of 5 ft.
a) Use the formula to determine how long it takes the ball to return to the earth.
b) Use the accompanying graph to estimate the maximum height reached by the ball.
94. Sharing cost. The members of a flying club plan to share equally the cost of a $200,000 airplane. The members
want to find five more people to join the club so that the cost per person will decrease by $2000. How many members
are currently in the club?
84. Gone fishing. Debbie traveled by boat 5 miles upstream to fish in her favorite spot. Because of the 4-mph current, it
took her 20 minutes longer to get there than to return. How fast will her boat go in still water?
90. Open-top box. Thomas is going to make an open-top box by cutting equal squares from the four corners of an
11 inch by 14 inch sheet of cardboard and folding up the sides. If the area of the base is to be 80 square inches, then
what size square should be cut from each corner?
Figure for Exercise 90
94. Golden painting. An artist wants her painting to be in the shape of a golden rectangle. If the length of the painting is
36 inches, then what should be the width? See the previous exercise.
This solution explains several algebra word problems.