Targeted Essential Learning
Effective literacy teaching focuses on research-based strategies and utilizes student assessment data in order to plan instruction that improves student achievement. (APTS 1, 3, 4, 5; INTASC 4, 8)
Assessment Tool Selected
1) Data-based lesson plans
2) Intervention activities
- Generate a variety of formal and informal assessment tools that align with instruction in order to measure student learning. (APTS 1.3, 3.1, 4.2)
- Select and utilize best practice implementation strategies appropriate to different developmental levels. (APTS 3.7)
- Collect, maintain, and use records of student work and performance/achievement to monitor student progress. (APTS 4.3)
- Analyze assessment outcomes to inform instructional methodologies. (APTS 4.3)
- Collaborate in the design, implementation, and support of learning programs that develop students' academic abilities. (APTS 5)
Relevancy of Task to Teacher Candidate
By engaging in the instruction and assessment cycle, teachers are able to create more effective literacy instruction that is tailored to student reading development levels.
GENERAL PRACTICUM INFORMATION
For this section, going by line item:
- You first need to familiarize yourself with the specific diversity and hour requirements set forth in this particular course. Since I obviously do not have access to your course materials, I have to leave that one up to you.
- There is a 'Practicum Placement Form' and 'Observation Record' located somewhere in your course materials. You need to locate these forms and fill in the required information. This will detail any observations that you completed during the course of the class. Those completed forms need to be submitted as a part of this overall assignment.
- Again - somewhere in your course materials, you should find a 'classroom teacher evaluation feedback form'. It is indicated that this is located in your practicum manual. So, each time an observation was completed, the actual teacher you observed should complete this form (I'll leave that up to you to decide how the form is completed at this stage in the process). The indication, however, (and this is very important) is that you should have one form each classroom teacher that you claim to have observed during the term of the course.
- The expectation for this particular course is that you have spent a minimum of 20 hours in one specific classroom. That class should be at the first to third grade level. You will want to make sure that however you record your time spent, that you note the correct grade was observed and for the required number of hours.
- During the course of your observation in this particular ...
The targeted essential learning are examined for research-based strategies. The data-based lesson plans are determined.