Why are goals important in curriculum planning?
What is an example of a goal that originates from content need, student need, and community need?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com August 15, 2018, 4:25 pm ad1c9bdddf
Interesting questions! Let's take a closer look.
1. Why are goals important in curriculum planning?
Writing goals and objectives is one of the six steps in planning and developing a curriculum. According to Joyce (n.d.), for example, the six steps to developing a competency-based curriculum are:
· Conduct needs assessment
· Identify competencies addressed by this rotation or experience
· Write goals and objectives
· Determine teaching methods
· Determine assessment methods
· Determine program improvement methods (http://www.ahme.org/discus/messages/21/Competency_Module_4_1_-825.ppt).
The goals (and objectives) are important because they provide an instructional roadmap; provide clarity about the educational program to learners, teachers and external stakeholders; encourage higher order learning; and determine the assessment method. Specifically, goals are a statement that describes what the learner will gain from the instruction. Think of goals as broad overarching statements, however, as they are not necessarily measurable. The objectives are formulated to meet the curriculum goals, which are often written in objective behavioral terms, which are measurable. Thus,
· Goals must be directly related to the student needs as identified in the present level data.
· Goals are positive statements of student performance.
· Goals must address reasonable, broader outcomes.
· Goals provide the logical connection between student needs and service implications (https://ican.doe.state.in.us/COMMON/help/Reference/istartrainingmaterials/confmaterials/ECadminconferencefall2006.ppt)
2. What is an example of a goal that originates from ...
This solution examines why goals are important in curriculum planning and provides an example of a goal that originates from content need, student need, and community need. It also provides a list of other examples of curriculum goals for consideration.