I am confused about the Oxidation States table (see attached file). Here is the experiment that I have to do.
- Gather five clean test tubes and place them side by side
- Place 5mL of water in the first tube
- Place 5mL of KMnO4 in the second tube
- Place 2mL of KMnO4 in to tubes 3, 4, and 5
- Place 1mL of NaOH in tube 3
- Place 1mL of H2SO4 in tube 5
- Next, using a pH meter record pH of test tubes 3, 4, and 5
- pH should reflect the following:
Tube 3=basic pH, Tube 4=neutral pH, Tube 5=acidic pH
- Place 5mL of NaHSO3 in tube 3 and record reaction
- Place 5mL of NaHSO3 in tube 4 and record reaction
- Place 5mL of NaHSO3 in tube 5 and record reaction.
The solution analyzes oxidation states.