1. Predict how valence electrons would pair up in the AsO4-3 ion.
2. Predict the bond angles in SbCl3 and BH3.
3. Predict the geometric structure of the carbonate ion. What bond angles would you predict. Why?
4. Predict the less polar bond in the following pair: Br-Cl or Br-I
5. Using electronegativity, predict in the order of decreasing polarity the following bonds: N-P, N-O, N-C, N-S, N-F. why?
6. Write the Lewis structures for the following NI3, and PF3.
7. Predict the Lewis structure(s) for the following: N2O
8. Why is the molecular structure of water nonlinear while that for beryllium fluoride is linear?
10. Predict and explain which atom would have the higher second ionization energy: lithium or beryllium.
12. Based on its position in the periodic table, how many 4d electrons are found in Z=44?
13. For Z=84 which orbital is filled last? Why?
14. Arrange the following in order of decreasing atomic size: At, Ba, Cs, Pb.
15. Why do the metallic elements of a given horizontal row typically have much lower ionization energy than do the nonmetallic elements in the same row?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 6:26 pm ad1c9bdddf
This solution is provided in 2,516 words in an attached .doc file. It answers each question in detail and provides charts to further understanding of the problem.
Atomic Theory and Bonding Problem Set
1. Draw the lewis structure and indicate the direction of the bond dipole for C-F and Si-S.
2. Draw the lewis structure for NI3 and PF3.
3. Use the symbol for the previous noble gas to indicate core electrons. Write the electron configuration for Z=107.
4. Based on its position on the periodic table, how many 4d electrons are found in Z=44?
5. Which element in group 16 is the most reactive why?
6. What is the Z number of the largest atom in group two? why?
7. Write the electron configuration for the last row of electrons for the element with Z=39.
8. How many core electrons are in Z=51 and Z=88
9. How does the attraction that the nucleus exerts on an electron change with the principle energy of the electron why?
10. Explain why the following electron configuration is not possible 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p63d2 4s1.
11. What simple ion is formed from the element with Z=89?
12. The first four ionization energies for the elements X and Y are shown in the table below. Identify the elements X any Y. There may be more than one correct answer.
Ionization energy X Y
first 170 200
Second 350 400
Third 1,800 3,500
Fourth 2,500 5,000
13. What is/are the gas/gases that has/have the same electron configuration as each of the ions in the compound formed from Z=31 and Z=16View Full Posting Details