Detailed answers & explanations would be great. If hand written please do not write in cursive for I have trouble reading it.
2. For the following questions refer to the following diatomic species.
a) Which has the largest bond-dissociation energy?
b) Which has a bond order of 2?
c) Which contains 1 stigma (s) and 2 pi (p) bonds?
5. Describe the intermolecular forces that must be overcome to convert these substances from a liquid to a gas.
6. Amorphous Silica, SiO2, has a density of about 2.2gm/cc whereas the density of crystalline quartz is 2.65 gm/cc. Account for the differences in density.
7. What are face centered and body centered crystal lattice?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 10, 2019, 6:16 am ad1c9bdddf
1. For ClF_3, the total number of electrons = 28. There are 3 ligands = 8 x 3 = 24 electrons. The remaining 4 electrons should be 2 lone pairs on the central atom. Hence the molecule should be T-shaped.
The dipoles of the F's aligned vertically opposite to each other will cancel leaving the dipole of the horizontal Cl-F bond intact. Hence there will be net residual dipole moment making the compound polar.
Similarly for BF_3, the Lewis structure can be drawn as being trigonal planar as there are a total of 24 electrons.
The net dipole of any two B-F bonds will be equally and opposite in strength to the other B-F bond. Hence the dipoles will cancel leaving no residual dipole moment and hence making the compound non-polar.
2. The number of bonds between each atom decides the strength of the bond. Triple bonds will be stronger than double bonds in general. Of all the species, only N_2 has a triple bond. Hence it will have the ...
A number of problems based on atomic theory are solved.