Use simple MO Theory (LCAO-MO) to explain why the dissociation energy of neutral N2 is greater than the N2+ ion, but that the dissociation energy of the O2+ ion is greater than the O2 neutral.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 7:47 pm ad1c9bdddf
In order to understand fully the structures of N2,N2+,O2 and O2+ we should know the electronic configurations of these species.
N2 and N2+
Molecule of N2 has 10 electrons distributed in bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals as under:
ORBITALS NUMBER OF ELECTRONS
sigma 2s(bonding) 2
sigma 2s (antibonding) 2
pi-2p (bonding) ...
The solution explains the dissociation energy of neutral nitrogen and oxygen with reference to the MO theory.
Polarity, bond dissociation energy of molecules
Detailed answers & explanations would be great. If hand written please do not write in cursive for I have trouble reading it.
1. Using Lewis (electron-dot) structures, explain why the ClF3 molecule is polar and the BF3 molecule is not polar.
2. For the following questions refer to the following diatomic species.
a) Which has the largest bond-dissociation energy?
b) Which has a bond order of 2?
c) Which contains 1 stigma (s) and 2 pi (p) bonds?
3. On the basis of bonding principles, predict whether each of the following compounds exists. In each case explain your prediction.
4. A mixture of 6gm of O2 (g) and 9gm CH4(g) is placed in a 15L vessel at 0 degreed Celsius. What is the partial pressure of each gas and what is the total pressure in the vessel?
5. Describe the intermolecular forces that must be overcome to convert these substances from a liquid to a gas.
6. Amorphous Silica, SiO2, has a density of about 2.2gm/cc whereas the density of crystalline quartz is 2.65 gm/cc. Account for the differences in density.
7. What are face centered and body centered crystal lattice?View Full Posting Details