One of the measurements of leadership is the EQ (Emotional Intelligence) score. Anthony Mersino attempts to show the place of EQ with the project manager and states Emotional Intelligence is vital to Project Managers.
Persons with high EQ seem to be more successful and effective at work. There are five dimensions of EQ.
1. Self-awareness refers to a person's capacity for being aware of how they are feeling.
2. Managing emotions refers to a person's capacities to ensure that feelings do not interfere with getting things accomplished.
3. Motivating oneself refers to a person's ability to remain optimistic in the face of failure.
4. Empathy refers to a person's ability to understand how others are feeling.
5. Social skill refers to a person's ability to get along with others.
What are the reasons this would be important to Project Managers?
Anthony Mersino (2010), Emotional Intelligence for Project Managers: The People Skills You Need to Achieve Outstanding Results; available at: http://www.maxwideman.com/papers/emotional_intelligence/emotional_intelligence.pdf© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 10, 2019, 3:53 am ad1c9bdddf
EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE: IMPORTANCE TO PROJECT MANAGERS
Five dimensions of EQ and Importance of Each
A project manager must know himself very well- his capabilities, limitations, strengths, and weaknesses. As noted in an online source, "Self Awareness is having a clear perception of your personality, including strengths, weaknesses, thoughts, beliefs, motivation, and emotions". This is important because it allows a project manager to understand other people, how they perceive him, and his own attitude and responses to them in the moment (http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/self-awareness.htm).
With self-awareness, a project manager could easily handle himself (in relation to others) in a particular situation.
Emotional intelligence importance for project managers are examined.