What factors contribute to the culture of an organization?
How can quality be incorporated into an organization's culture?
What are the biggest challenges you would face when attempting to change the culture in your own organization?
1. Define quality culture.
To date, there is no consensus on the definition of quality culture, so let's look at two definitions.
(1) Organizational culture is the personality of the organization. Culture is comprised of the assumptions, values, norms and tangible signs (artifacts) of organization members and their behaviors. Thus, a quality culture is a culture that values achievements, permanent modes of thinking, and accepted ways of interpreting practices concerning quality into every day activities (www.finnevo.fi/eng/contents/show_page.php).
From another source:
(2) Quality culture is working towards establishing and sustaining a quality culture means working towards,
- Having a shared set of beliefs about quality
- Having a shared set of values about quality
- Having knowledge and understanding about quality
- Having a clear working definition of quality
- Embedding beliefs, values and knowledge in the organization in ways which withstand for example changes in personnel (http://www.nationalpriorities.org.uk/Resources/EA/SouthLanarkshire/JohnCassidy/JCa_T011CreSustainQCult.pdf).
Thus, another working definition of a quality culture would be:
A quality culture is an organizational culture with a shared set of beliefs and values about quality, knowledge and understanding about quality, a clear working definition of quality, and one that applies these beliefs, values and knowledge in the organisation in daily ways that impact changes in personnel and services.
2. What factors contribute to the culture of an organization?
Like human personalities, companies are similarly driven by their own kind of organizational culture. Known as "corporate culture," it is deliberately expressed through a variety of forms such as architecture, workplace fashion, institutional structures, jargon, and title nomenclature (http://www.hss.caltech.edu/ss/research/culture-clash). Basically, organizational culture is the personality of the organization. Culture is expressed through factors, such as assumptions, values, norms and tangible signs (artifacts) of organization members and their behaviors. Members of an ...
This solution discusses the concept of 'quality culture' in terms of the definition and the factors that contribute to the culture of an organization, as well as how to incorporate quality into an organization's culture and the biggest challenges facing an organization when attempting to change the culture. This solution is 1227 words.