1) Crisp and Park Company is a family-owned firm that has been in business for 10 years. The company's founders, Mr. Crisp and Ms. Park, were cousins, and all of the company's employees until now have been family members. The company is growing and has begun to add employees who are not family members. A common complaint about the new employees is that even though new and veteran employees are treated identically, there is a wider variation in the personalities of new employees than in veteran employees. What factors could account for this problem?
2) Two department managers are discussing how important personality is to organizational performance. The production manager, Tucker Crisp, says that personality is not that large of a factor in determining organizational performance on the assembly line he manages. Cindy Park says that personality is very important for employees to contribute to the success of her marketing team. Can both Crisp and Park be correct? If so, how? If not, why not?
4) Why is a working knowledge of organizational behavior important to organizations and their employees?
5. Why is it important to analyze the behavior of individuals, groups, and the organization as a whole to understand organizational behavior in work settings?
7) A lawyer needs to score high on which of the Big Five personality traits? Why?
8) What are some situations in which you would not expect employeesâ?? personalities to influence their behavior?
9) What levels of need for achievement, power, and affiliation might be desirable for an elementary school teacher?
10. What types of abilities are especially important for an upper-level manager (such as the president of a division) to possess and why?
1) Megan was hiring several people for an opening in the company. She had a few basic questions to ask but was unsure if the answers were telling her if the candidate would be a good fit. Before she interviews anyone else, it would be BEST for her to ________ in order to determine which candidates would be a good fit.
A) identify the tasks she will need the employees to do
B) decide the most efficient way to train who she hires
C) obtain IQ test results from all prospective candidates
D) check the references of all candidates
2) Which of the following statements is FALSE?
A) Selection relates to the nature aspects of ability.
B) Placement relates to the nature aspects of ability.
C) Training relates to the nurture aspects of ability.
D) Placement relates to the nurture aspects of ability.
3) Darlene has just been hired by a major corporation to ensure that the corporation's use of IT fosters creativity and innovation amongst employees. What question should Darlene ask to ensure that IT fulfills this objective?
A) How much will it cost to place a computer workstation on every desktop?
B) How can we use technology to influence organizational behaviors?
C) How can we best reduce the cost of international phone calls?
D) How much time should we allow employees to access the World Wide Web each day?
4) A company is losing money. The top management team decides to lay off workers and move its production branch to India. The employees not laid off will be given more responsibility allowing them to make more decisions. Which of the following did NOT occur?
5) Which of the following has NOT caused the relationship between an organization and its members to change?
A) increasing globalization
B) emerging technology
C) decreasing responsibilities
D) increasing number of virtual teams
6) Which of the following is NOT a consequence of corporate downsizing?
A) increased responsibility among remaining employees
B) increased savings and less expenses for corporation
C) increased stress felt by remaining employees
D) increased ability to accomplish objectives more quickly
7) Joe started working at High Sales 15 years ago. He has moved up in the ranks and will shortly be involved in the hiring of 20 new employees. When he began, he did not have many skills. After his experiences, he firmly believes that anyone can be taught anything if given the proper instruction. In which way is Joe MOST LIKELY to manage ability during the interview process?
8 ) Which of the following is NOT an effect of the changing global economy?
A) increased longevity by individual workers at a single company
B) higher pressure for individuals to improve skills and desirability
C) more companies doing work in different countries
D) increases in temporary employees
What factors could account for this problem
The veteran employees within the organization referred to the older employees who were close relatives to the founders of the organization therefore they had a feeling of ownership and they were more comfortable working in the organization compared to the newly employed employees within the organization. In addition to this, the older employees felt like they had job security compared to the newly employed ones and hence they had no fear of loosing their jobs at any instance compared to the newly employed individuals.
Can both Crisp and Park be correct? If so, how? If not, why not?
Crisp is not correct but Parker is correct because personality is also required during production to ensure that the commodities being produced maintained not only a high quality but also a high value. Crisp on the other hand argues that personality and marketing go hand in hand which is correct since customers will always associate themselves with commodities which are highly personalized and unique.
Why is a working knowledge of organizational behavior important to organizations and their employees?
Working knowledge of organizational behavior is considered important to organizations and their employees because managers within an organization can be able to use the working knowledge theories and knowledge of the organizational behavior to improve the practices of management within the organization to effectively influence the employees working behavior so that the organization can attain its goals effectively (McGinnis, 2003).
Why is it important to analyze the behavior of individuals, groups, and the organization as a whole to understand organizational behavior in work settings?
Analyzing the behavior of individuals, groups and organization as a whole is considered as an important action since it will assist managers in understanding perceptions, values, attitudes, and ...
Why working knowledge of organizational behavior important to organizations are determined.