Case Study #3 The Dannon Company
Review the Dannon Company case study in the Resources folder.
At the end of 2009, The Dannon Company was considering proactively communicating its CSR efforts to consumers. With the strong connection between Dannon's production of health foods and its commitment to health- and nutrition-based CSR activities, making consumers aware of these efforts could enhance the company's success, but risked tainting its deeply ingrained CSR as a marketing ploy. Dannon wanted to maintain its holistic approach to social responsibility and commitment to social values. The challenge of CSR to Dannon and to many other companies is making the programs they develop strategic and communicating their authentic commitment in a sincere way.
In this case study analysis, you are to address the following, utilizing the headings below in the body of the paper. You must cite all facts from the case study itself. In addition to citing from the case study, you must also cite at least two other resources.
• Provide a synopsis of the company and the case.
To Communicate or Not to Communicate?
• Discuss whether or not Dannon should start to proactively communicate to consumers its CSR initiatives. Discuss the benefits and risks that Dannon would face. Analyze the implications for Dannon's current CSR initiatives.
Impact of a Corporate Parent
• Discuss the impact that having a corporate parent plays in Dannon's decision about whether to externally communicate its CSR programs. Discuss the risks and benefits of having a corporate parent and how this impacts Dannon's communication plans.
The Communication Strategy
• Design a focus and communication strategy for Dannon's CSR campaign to its consumers. Support your decisions with research.
• Summarize in 2-3 paragraphs the most important elements addressed in this analysis.
• Include a separate page of APA-formatted references. At the minimum, the case study should be included, as well as two outside references. There should be no items listed in the references that were not included in the body of the paper as in-text citations
Danone, Dannon's parent company, was created in Barcelona, Spain in 1919. The company entered the US market in 1941 when the owner, Daniel Carasso, immigrated to New York City.