Using the “Managing a Global Team: Greg James at Sun Microsystems, Inc. (A)” (Harvard Business School case, no. 9-409-003) by Tsedal Neeley and Thomas J. Delong I need help coming up with answers to these questions:
1. How well has James managed his global team?
2. Who is responsible for the HS Holding crisis?
3. What role did the "Open Work Environment" play in the case?
4. What role did diversity play on his team?
5. What should James do in the short and long term?
1. James managed his global team poorly. He had virtual team meetings regularly but the concerns of some of the teams were always considered last. The conference calls meant that some employees had to be on call between 20.30 and 22.00 resulting in very long days. There was dissatisfaction because some employees felt that there was a mismatch of compensation. They received less than others on the same virtual team. There were imbalances in the work-team because it was perceived that some members got more vacation time. The UAE team felt that they were neglected. They felt that US sub-teams were treated as favourites. Overall, the team was not properly managed.
2. The HS Holding company fiasco happened in India and Rahul's team is fully responsible for the crisis. Even though his team is ...
This posting gives you a step-by-step explanation of global virtual teams. The response also contains the sources used.