Potential research study for my Signature assignment will be Wal Mart's policy on equal pay for women.
Write a brief paper on what you see as possible ethical considerations that may arise. Respond to the following questions:
• What are your tentative problem, purpose, and research questions? What are all of the data-collection strategies that you might use to answer the questions? Which factors would you consider when deciding which one to use?
• Who would be the target group that you would want to recruit to participate in your study? What ethical issues are associated with collecting data from this group? Are there other groups that could also be considered? Would they pose different or less ethical issues?
• How would you gain access to and permission from this group? Would there be any conflicts of interest?
• Do you plan to provide compensation to participants? What ethical issues might arise if you do?
• How would you ensure confidentiality and mitigate any issues of coercion?
• What data collection methods might you consider? Would they pose any ethical issues? Why or why not? Are there other potential data collection methods that you could use that might pose fewer ethical issues but could still answer your research questions?
Length: 5-7 pages
Using the current APA standards.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com May 21, 2020, 12:12 am ad1c9bdddf
In compliance with BrainMass rules this is not a hand in ready assignment but is only guidance.
The tentative problem is that there should be equal pay for women at Wal-Mart. However, women are being paid less than their counterparts at Wal-Mart. it deprives women of payment that is rightfully theirs. There is evidence that Wal-Mart is still excluding women from some jobs and denying women equal pay for equal work.
The purpose of the research is to find out if there is equal pay for women at Wal-Mart (1). The purpose will seek to identify the areas where there is gender stereotyping in filling positions, where male applicants are hired excluding women, and positions in which women do the same jobs as men but are paid less than their male counterparts.
The research questions are:
Are women paid the same as their male counterparts for the same jobs at Wal-Mart? Are there positions for which Wal-Mart hires male entry-level applicants and eliminates women applicants?(2) Are women discriminated against during promotions at Wal-Mart?
This will be an exploratory research. The data collection strategies that I will use to answer the questions will be focus group interview. There are several factors I will consider for selecting focus group interview (3). In the context of unequal pay for women, targeted women often find themselves in situations where they experience lack of voice and feel isolated. Focus groups to study workplace pay inequality serves as an efficient method for collecting data. The current workers of Wal-Mart or ex-employees of Wal-Mart find a common language in the focus group setting to describe similar experiences. Further, when employees listen to others experiences, their own memory is stimulated. The participants share their ideas and experiences at the workplace. The focus group will help produce data and insights relating to pay inequality at Wal-Mart that would be less accessible without interaction found in a group setting. The other factors I consider is that in a focus group I can easily observe the reaction of participants to the issue of equal pay for women at Wal-Mart, or to discrimination against women at Wal-Mart. Focus group provides immediate stimulus to participants to air their opinions on issues related to equal pay for women. Focus group will also help identify the source of discrimination against women at ...
The answer to this problem explains the research study for Wal-Mart's policy on equal pay for women. The references related to the answer are also included.