- Write a paper in which you explain the differences between a group and a team. Include in your paper an examination of the importance of workplace diversity in an organization, and how it relates to team dynamics in the workplace.
- Cite your references. If you used an electronic source, include the URL.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 1, 2020, 11:53 pm ad1c9bdddf
Team & Group
A team comprises a group of people or animals linked in a common purpose. Teams are especially appropriate for conducting tasks that are high in complexity and have many interdependent subtasks.
A group in itself does not necessarily constitute a team. Teams normally have members with complementary skills and generate synergy through a coordinated effort which allows each member to maximize his or her strengths and minimize his or her weaknesses. (Wikipedia, 2009) A great team will have:
1. Members sharing leadership responsibility and rotating other roles as needed.
2. All participating in idea generation, problem solving, and decision-making.
3. Members showing support, respect, and trust for one another.
4. All taking actions and doing work that is necessary to reach team goals.
5. Members managing conflict by confronting issues and inappropriate behaviors.
Team helps in promoting good relationship with employees, using cumulative knowledge to solve problems. Hence the difference between team and group is of purpose, nature of members and coordination. Team has predefined purpose; members are complimentary in skills and have better coordination then group.
AS per Ezineartices, "Workplace diversity refers to the variety of differences between people in an organization. Hence diversity encompasses race, gender, ethnic group, age, personality, cognitive style, tenure, organizational function, education, background and more."
Importance of Diversity
Diversity is very important for the company. "Any organization that wants to expand internationally cannot hope to do so effectively without a detailed understanding of the cultural background of the new markets in which it hopes to succeed" (Spiers, 2008). An organization's success and competitiveness depends ...
Response describes the importance of workplace diversity in an organization