1. The secretion of the bicarbonate component of pancreatic juice is timulated by
a. 18 mm Hg
b. 32 mm Hg
c. 46 mm Hg
d. 88 mm Hg
3. Annie has just eaten a large order of heavily salted french fries, some pickled eggs, and some cheese. How will consuming this much salt affect her physiology?
a. There will be a temporary increase in blood volumne.
b. She will experience hypotension
c. There will be a shift in the pH of her body fluids to the higher side f the pH scale.
4. Assume a condition of metabolic acidosis. Which of the following is/are ture?
a. Bicarbonate levels in the plasma are low.
b.The kidenys are reabsorbing bicarbonate at a rapid rate.
c. The kidenys are ading new bicarbonate ions to the blood to bolster the alkaline
d. Both A and C are correct
5. Estrogen and progesterone maintain the integrity of the uterine lining and prepare the mamary gland to secrete milk. Which of the follwoing structures makes this possible during the first three months of pregnancy?
a. the amnion
b. the chorion
c. corpus luteum
d. corona radiata
6. The cardiovascular sstem of a newborn must be adjusted after the infant takes its first breath. Which of the follwoing is also true?
a. the ductus venosus is disconnected at the serverng og the umbilical cord and all visceral blood goes into the vena cava.
b. Teh foremen ovale between the artia of the fetal heart closes at the moment of birth.
c. The ductus arteriosus is shut off by contractions of the muscles in the wall
d. all of the above are correct.
1. The secretion of the bicarbonate component of pancreatic juice is stimulated by
Essentially, the parasympathetic impulses along the vagus nerves stimulate secretion of pancreatic enzymes cholecystokinin and secretin. These go into the small intestine and then get absorbed into the bloodstream. Eventually, secretin stimulates the secretion of pancreatic juice rich in bicarbonate ions.
2. Calcuate the effective filtration pressure from the following data:
Glomerular hydrostatic pressure = 60 mm Hg
Blood colloid osmotic pressure ...