Life on Earth - Biological Concepts from the Non-Science Major Perspective
Pine trees have a different way of getting through the winter. They have tough needles instead of leaves, and these needles can take freezing temperatures without being damaged. One trick they use is that the needles are covered with a layer of wax. This helps prevent freezing and water loss. They also contain natural anti-freeze chemicals that prevent them from freezing. The plants are able to continue photosynthesis just as long as they can get adequate water.
Based on a plants adaptations to environmental conditions there are a variety of paths that can be followed in the carbon fixation component of photosynthesis.
Plants have stomata in their leaves which can open and close based on environmental conditions. However, when stomata are closed, carbon dioxide cannot be collected.
The question: Are there any other adaptations that plants have made to adjust to environmental conditions?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 6:19 pm ad1c9bdddf
There are numerous interesting physiological "adaptations" that plants have that make them able to uniquely survive in their varied environments.
You mentioned pine needles that stay on trees. Well, consider deciduous trees that have leaves that fall from the trees during the winter. Generally, these are broad leaves with huge surface areas. They are ...
Life on earth (biological concepts from the non-science major perspective)
1. When comparing the DNA molecule to a twisted ladder, what do the rungs of the ladder represent?
2. Describe the three major properties of genes that are explained by the structure of DNA?
3. What occurs on the sex chromosomes to determine the sex of a mammal?
4. Describe a difference between meiosis and mitosis?
5. A black guinea pig crossed with an albino guinea pig produces 12 black offspring. When the albino is crossed with a second black one, 7 blacks and 5 albinos are obtained. What is the best explanation for this genetic situation?
6. Many bacteria may be able to respond to environmental stress by increasing the rate at which mutations occur during cell division. How might this be accomplished?
7. Describe one recent advance in biotechnology and its practical application.View Full Posting Details