Explore BrainMass
Share

Explore BrainMass

    Relationship Between Tm and Base Pair Content

    This content was COPIED from BrainMass.com - View the original, and get the already-completed solution here!

    Based on the attached data collected from DNA isolation from two different bacterial cultures:

    1. Complete the table by determining the percentage content of the corresponding complementary bases for each bacterial population. On what assumptions are your calculations made?

    2. Describe the relationship between Tm and base pair content of each bacterial species.

    3. Explain which bacterial species would be able to survive at temperatures lower than 15 degrees celcius.

    © BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 10, 2019, 12:39 am ad1c9bdddf
    https://brainmass.com/biology/biological-chemistry/relationship-between-base-pair-content-300248

    Attachments

    Solution Preview

    1. Bacterial DNA is double stranded. We also know that in double-stranded DNA, A base pairs with T. Also, G pairs with C. Therefore, the % of A must equal the % of T. Likewise, %G = %C. That means that for Species 1, since A = 41%, we must conclude that T must also be 41%. That makes for a total of 82%. We only have 18% left unaccounted for. This must be divided up between G and C. Since G pairs with C in double-stranded DNA, each must be equal. Therefore, there must be 9% G and 9% C. You can use the same kind of reasoning to figure out percentages for Species 2.

    2. Tm is the melting temperature, the temperature at which half of the double-stranded portions of the ...

    Solution Summary

    The relationship between Tm and base pair content of each bacterial species is examined.

    $2.19