One of the most influential movements of the last decade is the Tea Party Movement. This political movement has created protests and led to support for certain conservative and libertarian political candidates. The main issues they are raising awareness of are: reduced government spending, an opposition to taxation, the reduction of the national debt, and a return to a strict interpretation of the Constitution. The name Tea Party comes from the historical event the Boston Tea Party which was a protest led by colonists who objected a British tax on tea in 1773. It has no central leadership or membership requirements. The impact on our culture has only just begun to be measured. In the 2010 election, Tea Party-endorsed candidates forced a turn over in ...
Throughout American history there have been a number of movements that have changed our culture. One of the most influential movements of the last decade is the Tea Party Movement.
Movements in American History and Culture
1. Discuss the reform movements of the first half of the nineteenth century.
2. What exactly was the "romantic impulse" and what did it mean for American culture?
3. In what ways was the abolitionist movement similar to the other reform movements discussed in this chapter? How was it different?
4. What were some of the arguments of the anti-abolitionists? How did they present their case?
5. Discuss the influence of Manifest Destiny on Americans during the period, and how it shaped American policies.
6. How did the Westward migration change American society?
7. What caused the Mexican-American War? What were the domestic consequences of the American?
8. What factors (besides slavery) caused the deep divisions between the North and South during the 1850s?
9. What were the results, and subsequent effects, of the Compromise of 1850?
10. Compare and contrast the Presidencies of Zachary Taylor and James Polk.
11. There was arguably as much change in America in the years prior to the Civil War as during any other time period in America's history. Please discuss the social, cultural and economic changes in the decades leading up to the Civil War. What impact did this have on the concepts of Manifest Destiny, the Abolitionist movement and the growing sectional differences between the North and South.