Models of cultural diversity:
• Assimilation (includes Melting Pot and Accommodation)
• Pluralism (includes Separatism)
3-4 paragraphs in which you compare and contrast the models of multiculturalism
1) Write a story or example illustrating each model. The goal is to show that you understand the differences between them.
2) Which model(s) do you feel are dominant in the area in which you live?
3) What model(s) do you see the most in Healthcare field?
1. Models of Cultural Diversity:
- Assimilation: "Assimilation is a process in which a minority becomes absorbed into the dominant society - socially, economically, and culturally." (sociology.about.com)
- Melting Pot: "Melting pot is a concept referring to a heterogeneous society becoming more homogenous with the different elements "melting together" into a harmonious whole with a common culture." (sociology.about.com) Most commonly, this term is used to describe immigrants becoming a part of the society of the United States.
- Accommodation: "The term 'accommodation' refers to several sorts of working agreements between rival groups that permit at least limited cooperation between them even though the issues dividing them remain unsettled." (www.sociologyguide.com) ...
This solution of 483 words explains the three models of cultural diversity and highlights the key differences between them with a scenario.