When parents are not able to care for their children, the grandparents may take over parenting responsibilities.
1. Explain the impact this type of situation may have on family relationships and the development of the child.
2. Also, identify ways a classroom teacher can support children and families in this situation.
Hi and thank you for using Brainmass. The solution below should get you started. In this particular task you are being asked to provide information to explain certain concepts. I suggest using this simple outline:
1. Grandparents as caregivers - 100 words
2. Impact on family dynamics and child development - 100 words
3. Classroom Support - 100 words
This outline should cover what you need. You can also use the listed resources to further explore the topic.
AE 105878/Xenia Jones
Grandparents as Caregivers
There are a number of circumstances where children end up being cared for and raised by relatives, and in most cases, by their grandparents. It could be that their parents died, their parents are absentee or removed from them for varied reasons and thus cannot perform their parental responsibilities (i.e. military parents deployed abroad, single parents serving jail terms, parents choosing to abandon their children). According to the AAMFT (2014), "Census data indicate that in the United States there are approximately 2.4 million grandparents raising 4.5 million children. Custodial grandparenting occurs when a grandparent assumes responsibility for a grandchild because the grandchild's parents cannot or choose not to care for the child. Some common ...
The solution provides information, assistance and advise in tackling the task (see above) on the topic of custodial grandparenting. Resources are listed for further exploration of the topic.
Caretaking by grandparents
1. Explain the difference between limited caretaking and involuntary caretaking in terms of the role of grandparents.
2. Describe the positive effects this relationship has on the grandchild.
3. Explain how parents can include grandparents as influences in their child's life.