Help with the description of the two theories of human development that you selected. Then, compare the major components of the two theories. Finally, describe which theory best explains the influence of culture on human development and why. Support your responses using the Learning Resources and the current literature.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 17, 2018, 12:23 pm ad1c9bdddf
Researchers note that the changes that take place within stages of human growth and development are marked by the interaction of physical, cognitive, personality and social changes. These changes have emotional and social influences on human development. The following two theories had a marked influence in understanding learning and human development.
(a) Vygotsky Theory of social cognitive Development
Vygotsky theory of human development is a sociocultural cognitive theory that emphasizes how culture and social interaction affect cognitive development. Vygotsky held that children constructed knowledge through their social and cultural interaction. Based on his social constructivist theory, the child's development becomes inseparable from his or her social and cultural activities For instance, if children interacted with adults who had more experiences and/or skills, their own cognitive skills would be enhanced. Vygotsky posited that children' interaction with adults, who had more experiences and skills helped to enhance their own cognitive development (Oswalt, n .d). Moreover, Vygotsky provided a model of learning and development in relationships that revalued dependence. According to Santrock (2006), whereas traditional psychodynamic theories of development focused on autonomy and independent functioning as the desired goal; Vgotsky emphasized dependence as having the capacity to rely on others as an essential aspect of learning. He further noted that cooperation with others was necessary to learning and development across the life span. Oswalt (n. d) explains the aspect of Vygotsky's view on social constructionism more clearly regarding how children construct their own knowledge, but develop rom a social perspective.
(b) Erikson's Psychosocial ...
This solution discusses the psychosocial theory of Erik Erikson and Lev Vygotsky's Theory of Human development in a socio-cultural framework.
Cross-Cultural Research Paper
Hi, I need to compose a cross-cultural research paper and I need some assistance understanding the following concepts:
- Describe the culture of interest and explain why this culture interests you, include whether it is a collectivistic or individualistic culture.
- Describe the culture you most identify with and its characteristics, include whether it is a collectivistic or individualistic culture.
- Compare similarities and differences related to time orientation, communication, physical and mental health, group relationships, and perceptions and measures of intelligence between your culture of interest and your own culture.
- Describe a theory that will guide your analysis of both cultures.
- Based on the theory, explain how each culture influences human development, identity development, and personality development within it.
- Based on the theory, explain how each culture influences the expression of emotion, the development of morality, gender, aggression, and one other psychological process within it.
- Explain any biases that may influence your analysis of these cultures and explain why.