Discuss the five major approaches to qualitative research (case studies, narrative, phenomenology, grounded theory, and ethnography). Review and critically reflect on each of the approaches presented, and then select the approach that best suits different scenarios. How do you decide which research approach to take for different situations?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 9:53 am ad1c9bdddf
Hi and thank you for using Brainmass. The solution below should get you started. This is a discussion activity so you will likely be sharing ideas with other students and with your professor. There are key things that will help you which I believe are as follows -
The solution below departs from the usual in that it is meant to give you concise guidance to take with you into the discussion. First, let us go into discussing the approaches. These concise definitions were drawn from Strauss (2012).
1. "Narrative: This approach to inquiry retells someone's story across time. It explores what the story means and the lessons to be learned. " Essentially, a narrative 'tells a story" so that when you are interviewing a subject, what is related is his or her narrative (narration) of an event, or a life story, etc.
For more information: http://academic.son.wisc.edu/courses/N701/week/sandelowski_tellingstories.pdf
2. "Phenomenology: The goal of phenomenological research is to describe participants' experiences in a specific context and understand a phenomenon. For example, what is it like to be homeless in Los Angeles?"
For more information: http://www.academia.edu/1526812/Qualitative_Research_Phenomenological_Method
3. "Grounded theory: This type of qualitative approach investigates a process, action, or interaction with the goal of developing a theory." Essentially, in GT, you do not ...
The solution discusses the 5 approaches in qualitative research and helps a student prepare for a particular discussion of a qualitative article for class. Resources are listed for further exploration of the topic. Article details listed in the resources section.
Management Article Research
I would need:
1) comments(approx. 300 words) on the four approaches to research outlined by Mackenzie, in the attached article.
2) the most preferred approach and why?