Use research findings in back up your ideas. Can you suggest some good resources for this assignment? I would appreciate a brief list of some of facts that may be relevant to this assignment as I am just beginning to write my outline.
I think you will find the following facts about learning disabilities useful for your your assignment. The references are listed as well.
Facts and Statistics on Learning Disabilities
1. Learning Disabilities are a congenital neurological condition, which impacts the lives of children, youth and adults and effects all aspects of human functioning.
Reference: Report on neurological basis, The Lancet, February 1990.
2. One in ten Canadians has a learning disability or 3 million Canadians.
Reference: The 1970 Commission on emotional and Learning Disorders in Children.
3. According to principals who participated in the first cycle of the National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth, (NLSCY), an average of 12% of children in their schools had a learning disability.
Reference: 1997 Education Quarterly Review, Statistics Canada, Catalogue no. 8-1-3-XPB, Vol. 4, no. 2 - Initial Results from the School Component, NLSCY.
4. One in 10 children received some form of remedial education during 1994-95. Children receiving remedial education often have multiple problems with the most common difficulties being a learning disability (51%) or an emotional or behavioural problem. (23%)
Reference: 1997 Education Quarterly Review: Statistics Canada, Catalogue no. 81-003-XP3, Vol. 4, no.2 - Initial Results from the School Component, NLSCY.
5. 35% of students identified with learning disabilities drop out of high school. This is twice the rate of non-disabled peers and does not include students who are not identified and drop out.
Reference: Washington Summit on Learning Disabilities, 1994
6. The Conference Board of Canada determined that dropouts from the high school ...
Research based, this solution identifies and explains 20 empirical findings about learning disabilities (LD) that suggest that LDs are far more prevalent than once believed and that LDs have serious social implications as well. (Lists 20 sources)