Unit 1: Cultural Competency and Linguistic Diversity
Case Study: Sara
Sara Smith is a 13-year-old young lady who has been referred to your office by her parents. Sara's family is African-American and they describe themselves as a two income, professional family.
- Sara has one younger brother. Upon meeting with Sara and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Smith discuss their concern that Sara's behavior has escalated in the past 6 months.
- Sara has shown less willingness to do her chores around the house and when asked to do them she yells at her parents.
- Sara has hit her younger brother when they were fighting and her fights with her younger brother have increased.
- Sara has also thrown things at her family members and has broken several objects within the home. Mr. and Mrs. Smith state that they feel they have tried hard to enforce consistent house rules and expectations.
- They state they have tried everything, including grounding and spanking.
- When you ask what prompted the parents to spank, Mr. Smith replies that they believe in "spare the rod, spoil the child." You ask Sara about her perspective and she tells you that her parents never let her do anything she likes.
- She states that she likes to do things with her family, such as going to church or sitting down to meals, but that she also wants to do things with her friends.
- Mr. Smith tells you that they will not allow Sara to do things with her friends until she obeys in the home. The family reports that Sara is doing well in school.
Given what you have learned in your readings for this week, what cultural or linguistic factors do you need to consider when assessing and designing an intervention for this family? What intervention would you consider, and why?
American Psychological Association. (2002). Guidelines on Multicultural Education, Training, Research, Practice, and Organizational Change for Psychologists Guidelines on Multicultural Education, Training, Research, Practice, and Organizational Change for Psychologists: Author. Retrieved from: http://www.apa.org/pi/oema/resources/policy/multicultural-guideline.pdf
Stuart, R.B. (2004). Twelve practical suggestions for achieving multicultural competence. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 35(1), 3-9
Artman, L.K., & Daniels, J.A. (2010). Disability and psychotherapy practice: Cultural competence and practical tips. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 41(5). 442-448
Brown, L. S. (2009). Cultural competence: A new way of thinking about integration in therapy. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 19(4), 340-353.
Hi and thank you for using Brainmass. The solution below should get you started. In this particular task, you are asking for help in putting together a discussion of a particular case. I suggest using this simple outline:
1. About Sara - 100 words
2. About de-escalation - 100 words
3. Factors to consider (culture) - 100 words
4. Factors to consider (language) - 100 words
5. Intervention to adopt - 100 words
This outline should yield around 500 words which should cover what you need. You can use the listed resources to further explore the topic. Just leave me a message via the feedback section if you need further clarification. All the best with your studies.
AE 105878/Xenia Jones
Teen Behavior Escalation
Problematic behavior among teens is a common issue in families. Among those who behave in such a way, they are unable to manage their emotions and behaviors so that they express themselves and seek the attention that they want violently, using physical force and in most cases, abusing those around them - their parents, siblings, teachers or anyone around them. Abraham and Studaker-Cordner (2014) labels this as Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), and is a problem not just for the parents or the child but the entire family. It appears from the symptoms presented that ...
The solution provides information, assistance and advise in tackling the task (see above) on the topic of teen ODD behavioral issues. Resources are listed for further exploration of the topic.
Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD) overview
Using Oppositional Defiance Disorder discuss research-based interventions to treat psychopathology.
Review and differentiate the characteristics of the disorder and discuss the research about intervention strategies for the disorder by completing the following:
•Evaluate three peer reviewed research studies using the Research Analysis.
•Conceptualize the disorder using one of the psychological perspectives listed in the text.
•Discuss the treatments or interventions that have been shown to be the most effective for your selected disorder. Why?