- Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is one of the developmental theories
- Piaget'& s Theory of Cognitive Development
Help me understand a brief description of these two theories of human development. Then compare the major components of the two theories. Finally, describe which theory best explains the influence of culture on human development and why?
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is one of the developmental theories
- Hierarchical theory of developmental psychology (taken from Wikipedia, 2013)
- Physiological - very basic human needs such as food, water, shelter, and sleep
- Safety - security of areas like: employment, family, health, and property
- Love/Belonging - friendship and family
- Esteem - self-esteem, confidence, respect (both for others and from others)
- Self-actualization - problem solving, morality, and creativity
Maslow believed that in order for the higher levels to be achieved (such as Esteem and Self-actualization), the lower levels of the hierarchy were necessary to secure first.
For example, someone who does not have a regular and secure place to live will not be concerned ...
A discussion regarding Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and Piaget's Theory of Cognitive Development. 400words, 3 references.