Please help me organize some ideas for the following:
Write a profile of behaviors and circumstances that are, or could be, considered at-risk for juvenile drug-abusers.
Develop a handout to be distributed to schools, parents, and social workers, outlining the risk factors and indicators to look for when identifying at-risk youth. Your handout should be 350-700 words in length, and MUST CONTAIN GRAPHICS. Cite any outside sources using APA formatting guidelines.
Interesting assignment! Let's take a closer look. the response is attached in full, some of which is presented below as well. I attached two APA resources to refer to for your final copy.
Interesting assignment! One way to help you with an assignment like this one is to provide information for you to consider for your brochure. This is the approach this response takes. I also attached two APA resources.
Why do Young People Use Drugs?
When asked, young people offer a number of reasons for using drugs; most often they cite a desire to change the way they feel, or to "get high." Other reasons include:
· Escape school and family pressures
· Low self-esteem
· To be accepted by their peers
· To feel adult-like or sophisticated
· Perception of low risk associated with drugs
· Availability of drugs (http://www.learning-for-life.org/lfl/resources/99-349.pdf).
Behaviors and Risk Factors
Risk factors can increase a person's chances for drug abuse. It's important to remember that not everyone at risk for drug abuse actually becomes a drug user.
What Behaviors should we look for?
Here are some early behavioral signs of risks that may predict later drug use:
· Association with drug abusing peers
· A lack of attachment and nurturing by parents or caregivers
· Ineffective parenting
· A caregiver who abuses drugs
· Aggressive behavior
· Lack of self-control
· Poor classroom behavior or social skills
· Academic failure
· Young people are most vulnerable to drug use during times of transition; for instance, when teens make the switch from elementary to middle school or ...
This solution provides assistance with writing a profile of behaviors and circumstances that are, or could be, considered at-risk for juvenile drug-abusers and with developing a handout to be distributed to schools, parents, and social workers outlining the risk factors and indicators to look for when identifying at-risk youth. Charts and graphics are provided, as well as two APA resources.