Describe several attributes of dysfunctional family communication patterns and identify some specific strategies you can use for positively influencing or changing family communication patterns.
1. Describe several attributes of dysfunctional family communication patterns and identify some specific strategies you can use for positively influencing or changing family communication patterns.
There are two forms of communication, open and closed system. The latter is associated with the dysfunctional system. However, positive and negative communication patterns exist in all families, but dysfunctional families are often negative and closed, with serious conflict and outbursts, from keeping feeling trapped inside. Generally, the higher the quality of communication, the higher the level of satisfaction with overall family functioning; positive communication is a tool to develop resiliency. There are strategies to encourage communication patterns (see http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/management/Ob-Or/Open-and-Closed-Systems.html).
The following list are some proposed strategies to creating successful communication:
* Make messages clear, correct, comprehensive, and concise. And encourage the family to ask questions if they do not understand.
* Include an action step with deadlines in messages that requires a response form family members. I need this answer or information by tomorrow morning at 9:00.
* Select correct channels of communication based on message content and relationship components.
* Structure the message so as not to overload the receiver with information.
* Develop sensitivity to the receiver's communication style and create the message accordingly.
* Be aware of how cultural patterns affect communication style and take this into consideration in sending and receiving messages.
* Be aware that people operating in a second language or from dysfunctional roles may still code/decode messages based on their first culture's communication patterns. Checking for understanding is essential hear. The nurse might ask and encourage questions to make sure the family has understood the message. Do you have any questions?
* Enhance listening skills as an aspect of effective use of the feedback loop, which provide two way communication necessary to make sure that the message ...
Describes several attributes of dysfunctional family communication patterns and identifies some specific strategies you can use for positively influencing or changing family communication patterns. It also explains why changing role functions within the family can create stress and/or conflict and how the family nurse can respond. Supplementary articles and practical examples provided.