A steel contains 55% alpha-ferrite and 45% gamma-ferrite or austenite at 750 degrees Celsius. What is the carbon content of steel?
****This is how the problem was written however I'm not sure if it makes sense that 55% and 45% are supposed to be 0.55% and 0.45%**** My guess at the answer is (b), can you explain?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 7:25 pm ad1c9bdddf
The answer is c.
The carbon content of alpha-ferrite at 750 is 0.02%, so the ...
This Solution contains calculations to aid you in understanding the Solution to this question.
Heat Conduction for Temperature Distribution and Heat Flux
An artificial satellite in space has a panel attached to it with dimensions 20m X 25m X 3m. The panel is made of Carbon steel with a carbon content of 1.5%. In the temperature range of interest, the value of the thermal conductivity is k = 36 W/(m-°C). The panel has an artificial heating source applied to it causing it to have a constant energy generation = 4 W/m3. One side of the panel is measured as 3° C (x=0) and the other side of the panel is at 17.5° C (x=3m).
1. Write the heat conduction equation for this case.
2. Using the boundary conditions, find the integration constants (C1 and C2).
3. What is the temperature distribution across the width of the satellite panel?
4. What is the temperature in the center of the width of the panel?
5. What is the heat flux anywhere in the panel?
6. What is the value of the heat flux on each side of the panel (at x=0 and at x=3)?