Please describe the three leadership styles (authoritative, participative, and delegative).
Kurt Lewin established that there are three types of leadership: authoritative, participative and delegative. A good leader will incorporate a little from all three styles, with a general predominant style; a bad leader will only use one style.
Authoritative, also referred to as autocratic, is when a leader does not consult any other sources before making decisions. This type of leadership creates a distinct line between leader and followers. This type of leadership choice is the one with the most discontent. These types of leaders are often considered bossy, arrogant or controlling.
Participative, also referred to as democratic, involves the group in decision making with the ultimate decision up to the leader. This is generally the most effective method of leadership. Upon occasion, too many opinions might create discord in which the leader will be responsible for weighing the evidence.
Delegative, also referred to as free reign or Laissez-Faire, works well with groups that are capable of making their own decisions and completing their own work in a timely-manner with little or no supervision. This method has proven to be ineffective with young children. They demanded a great deal of attention from the leader and were unable to perform activities independently. For groups that need guidance, this was one of the least productive leadership methods.
Authoritarian leadership - This type of leadership provides clear understanding of what needs to be done, how it should be done and the time frames expected. There is clear division between the leader and ...
Analysis of Leadership Styles: Authoritative, Participative and Delegative
Contrast and compare leadership styles
Conduct a literature review of leadership approaches. These leadership approaches include traits, skills, style, and situational approaches to leadership. Analyze and synthesize the material on the leadership approaches.
- Develop an introduction on the background of each leadership approach and the purpose of the chosen article.
- Analyze all articles and describe the key themes that emerge across the seven selected articles.
- Synthesize the material and summarize the patterns of similarities and differences regarding how each of the authors has presented on each leadership approach.
- Based on your analysis of the literature, conclude by recommending a specific leadership approach you feel would be most effective for managing ethical behavior at your chosen organization. Be sure to justify your choice
- sources should be no more than 5 years old and should discuss some aspects of leadership approaches
few sources to start:
- Paulsen, N., Callan, V., Ayoko, O. & Saunders, D.(2013).Transformational leadership
and innovation in an R&D organization experiencing major change. Journal of
Organizational Change Management. http://callanconsulting.com.au/sites/default/files/report/J%20of%20Organ%20Change%20Man%202013.pdf
6 pages, APA 6th Edition.View Full Posting Details