a) Benchmark Assessment: Integrating Science and Mathematics
i) Create a unit of study integrating science and math content of fractions, decimals, and/or percents.
ii) Ensure you have listed each of the science (NSES)) and math (NCTM) standards to include learning goals and objectives.
iii) Create the unit of study to include the following:
(1) clear-cut objectives that align to standards
(2) relevant materials and resources
(3) differentiation of instruction to address the diverse needs of students. Name the differentiation strategies for the specific diverse groups.
(4) problem solving and inquiry strategies
(5) the twelve science processes
(6) concrete manipulatives to help develop science and fraction/decimal sense
(7) informal and/or formal assessment that align with objectives
(8) authentic, formative and/or summative assessments
(9) allow for student reflection
iv) Write a narrative of 1,000-1,250 words that addresses the assignment criteria, gives specific examples from the unit of study, and state your rationale.
v) Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the GCU APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required. Include an appendix to the paper that is a copy of the unit of study.
Lesson plans for elementary students incorporating science and math using manipulative, hands-on activities for fractions and more. Recipe included, with Web-based resources. NCTM standards are NOT INCLUDED in these plans, as you must subscribe to have access to them. NSES objectives are included.