Explain how VB .NET uses a database. Briefly summarize the components of a database and the characteristics of a DBMS. Include a discussion of ADO .NET and its capabilities. Explain how commands are sent over a connection and how data is retrieved over that same connection. What do you feel are the strengths and weaknesses of this type of data access? Explain the role of the DataSet, DataAdapter, Connection, and provider.
Please be sure to answer and touch on each question and topic of discussion. Thanks.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com September 20, 2018, 12:51 am ad1c9bdddf - https://brainmass.com/computer-science/processor-architectures/use-of-databases-with-net-169694
Components of a database and the characteristics of a DBMS
Database (DB): A collection of data (stored more-or-less permanently in a computer) that is managed by a database management system (DBMS).
Database management system (DBMS): A collection of programs that enables users to create and maintain a database.
1. Allow users to create new databases and specify their logical structure (schema) using a data-definition language (DDL).
* Defining a database involves specifying the data types, structures, and constraints for the data stored in the database.
* Constructing the database is the process of storing the data itself on some storage medium that is controlled by the DBMS.
2. Manipulating a database includes such functions as querying the database to retrieve specific data, updating the database to reflect changes in the world and generating reports from the data.
* Allow users to query that database and modify the data using a query language (data-manipulation language DML).
* Support the storage, security, authorized access, and efficient access of data.
* Control simultaneous access while maintaining data integrity (prevent data corruption).
A database system is a database together with the DBMS software.
The components of a database system include:
* Database: data that is stored more-or-less permanently in a computer.
* Database management system (DBMS): software which allows the user to use or modify the database.
* DBMS Facilities
o Data definition language (DDL): used to define the conceptual scheme. The scheme is compiled and stored in the data dictionary.
o Data manipulation language (DML): query sublanguage (retrieval), maintenance sublanguage (insertion, deletion, modification).
* Structure of DBMS
o DDL compiler: Compiles conceptual schemes to tables stored in the data dictionary.
o Database manager: translates query into file operations
o Query Processor:
o File manager: often a general purpose file system provided by the operating system.
o Disk manager
o Telecommunication system
o Data files
o Data dictionary: structure and usage of data contained in the database.
o Access aids: indexes
o Database application programmers: develop programs or interfaces for naive and online users which are precompiled queries.
o Database implementers
o Database administrator (DBA): oversee and manage resources
+ Design of ...