1) Label the reactants as electrophiles or nucleophiles. Use curved arrows to show the movement of electron pairs in the reactions:
(a) methoxide + methyl chloride = dimethyl ether + chloride
(b) (CH3)3O+ + HOH = CH3OCH3 + CH3OH2+
2) For the pair of compounds, dipropylamine and triethylamine, circle the compound you expect to have the higher bp. Explain your reasoning.
3) Draw the structures of (a) 4-(1-methylethyl)heptane.
4) Provide the mechanistic pathway for the reaction between propene and HBr.
5) When 1,3-butadiene reacts with 1 mol of HBr, both 3-bromo-1-butene and 1-bromo-2-butene are formed. Propose a mechanism to account for this mixture of products.
6) Convert 1-methycyclohexanol to 1-bromo-2-methylcyclohexane.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 4, 2021, 9:59 pm ad1c9bdddf
The expert labels the reactants as electrophiles and nucleophiles. Structures of multiple compounds are provided.