What are the functional class nomenclature names for these 2 compounds?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 5:26 pm ad1c9bdddf
Functional class nomenclature is seldom used for more complicated structures like those in your problem, but in this case we will do the following:
First of all, you name the alkyl ...
This solution is comprised of an explanation of how to complete this question and also provides the correct answers. The solution is a good tool to have when completing future questions of this nature as it contains a few tips of things to remember when answering these sorts of questions.
Organic Compounds, Synthesis of 2-hexanone, Grignard reagent, Aldol condensation reaction ...
Please see the attached file for the full problems.
1. Name each of the following compounds.
2. Write a structural formula for each of the following compounds.
a. benzyl methyl ketone
3. Write an equation for the synthesis of 2-hexanone by
a. oxidation of an alcohol
b. hydration of an alkyne
4. Write an equation for the reaction of propanal with each of the following reagents, and name the organic product.
a. cyanide ion
b. sodium borohydride
c. phenylmagnesium bromide, then H3O+
5. Using a Grignard reagent and the appropriate aldehyde or ketone, show how each of the following can be prepared.
6. Complete the equation for the reaction of
7. Give the structure of each product.
8. Write out the steps for the aldol condensation reaction between the enolate anion of propanal with pentanal.
9. Using Figure 16.1 on page 462 of your textbook, draw the Fisher projection formulas for the following:
10. Using Figure 16.1 on page 462 of your textbook, draw the Fisher projection formulas for the following and then convert them to three-dimensional representations.