Assign formal charges to each atom in the attached file. Cross out the configurations that are not reasonable, and provide an explanation (eg large charge, incomplete octet, octet exceeded).© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 8:14 pm ad1c9bdddf
Assign formal charges to each atom
Organic Structures: Polarity and Electron-Dot Formulas
Please see the attachment for a better formatting of these questions.
1) Draw a structural formula for each of the following molecules. Which bonds are polar? Indicate the polarity by proper placement of the symbols d+ and d-.
2) Draw structural formulas for all possible isomers having the following molecular formulas:
3) Write electron-dot formulas for the following ionic species. Show the formal charges on individual atoms in each ion.
bisulfite ion, HSO3¯
ammonium ion, NH4+
carbonate ion, CO32¯
carbon dioxide, CO2
chlorate ion, ClO3¯
chlorite ion, ClO2¯
4) Fill in any electron pairs that are missing from the following formulas:
(double bond) between the O and C
5) Use lines, dashed wedges, and solid wedges to show the geometry of CH4, CH2Cl2, and CF3OH.
6) Write a structural formula that corresponds to the molecular formula C6H12O and is: