2. Construct Lewis structures of typical resonance contributions of (a) ONC- and (b) NCO- and assign formal charges to each atom. Which resonance structure is likely to be the dominant contribution in each case?
3. (a) Write Lewis structures for the major resonance forms of N02-. (b) Assign formal charges. (c) Assign oxidation numbers to the atoms. (d) Describe whether oxidation numbers or formal charges are appropriate for the following applications: (i) predominant resonance Lewis dot structure among several resonance forms, (ii) determining whether there is the possibility of nitrogen being oxidized or reduced, (iii) determining the physical charge on the nitrogen atom.
4. Write Lewis structures for (a) XeF4, (b) PF5, (c) BrF3. (d) TeCI4, (e) ICI2-.
5. What shapes would you expect for the species (a) S03, (b) SO3 2-, (c) IF5?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 6:12 pm ad1c9bdddf
The solution provides clear hand-written diagrams with descriptive answers included to complete the explanation to these problems concerning the drawing of Lewis dot structures of various compounds.
Nomenclature and Molecular Shapes
Please see the attached file for the entire problems.
1. Naming Covalent Compounds
What is the name of the covalent compound CCl4 ?
What is the name of the covalent compound N2O5?
2. Octet Rule and Ions
Construct an orbital diagram to show the electron configuration for a neutral magnesium atom, Mg .
To form a stable ion, will magnesium gain or lose electrons? How many electrons?
Match each ion with the noble gas whose electron configuration it shares.
3. Writing Ionic Formulas
What is the formula for iron(III) oxide?
What is the formula for strontium chloride?
Sort the following chromium compounds by whether the cation is chromium(II) or chromium(III).
4. Covalent Molecules and the Octet Rule
Below is the structure of acetyl chloride, drawn with bonds and electron dots. Determine how many nonbonding and bonding electrons are shown.
Which structure below represents a molecule with the correct electron dot formula?
5. Polyatomic Ions
What is the name of the ionic compound BaCO3?
What is the molecular formula for ammonium nitrate?
6. Ionic Compounds
Determine whether the following pairs of elements can form ionic compounds.
What is the formula for an ionic compound that contains the elements calcium and fluorine?
7. Molecular Shapes
Match each two-dimensional structure to its correct three-dimensional description.
8. Writing Electron-Dot Structures
If the boron nitride molecule, BN, were to form, what would its structure look like?
State the number of electrons that must be gained by atoms of each of the following elements to acquire a noble gas electron arrangement.
Part A. Cl
Part B. O
Part C. N
Part D. I
Part E. P
How many protons and electrons are in the following ions?
Part A. O2-
Part B. K+
Part C. Br-
Part D. S2-
Part E. Sr2+View Full Posting Details