1. Write Lewis electron dot structures for (a) GeCI3-, (b) FC02- (c) CO32-, (d) AICI4-, and (e) FNO. Where more than one resonance structure is important, give examples of all major contributors.
2. Construct Lewis structures of typical resonance contributions of (a) ONC- and (b) NCO- and assign formal charges to each atom. Which resonance structure is likely to be the dominant contribution in each case?
3. (a) Write Lewis structures for the major resonance forms of N02-. (b) Assign formal charges. (c) Assign oxidation numbers to the atoms. (d) Describe whether oxidation numbers or formal charges are appropriate for the following applications: (i) predominant resonance Lewis dot structure among several resonance forms, (ii) determining whether there is the possibility of nitrogen being oxidized or reduced, (iii) determining the physical charge on the nitrogen atom.
4. Write Lewis structures for (a) XeF4, (b) PF5, (c) BrF3. (d) TeCI4, (e) ICI2-.
5. What shapes would you expect for the species (a) S03, (b) SO3 2-, (c) IF5?
6. Solid phosphorus pentachloride is an ionic solid composed of PCl4+ cations and PCl6- anions, but the vapor is molecular. What are the shapes of the ions in the solid?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 2, 2022, 3:37 pm ad1c9bdddf
The solution provides clear hand-written diagrams with descriptive answers included to complete the explanation to these problems concerning the drawing of Lewis dot structures of various compounds.