1. Which of the following correctly lists the following isomeric alkanes in order of increasing boiling point? n-hexane, 2,3-dimethylbutane, 2-methylpentane
a. n-hexane < 2-methylpentane < 2,3- dimethylbutane
b. 2-methylpentane < 2,3-dimethylbutane < n-hexane
c. 2,3-dimethylbutane < 2-methylpentane < n-hexane
d. n-hexane < 2,3-dimethylbutane < 2-methylpentane
2. Which of the following statements about n-heptane is true?
a. It is non-polar and water soluble
b. It is polar and water soluble
c. It is polar and water insoluble
d. It is non-polar and water insoluble
3. The number of constitutional isomers that are alkanes that can be drawn for C4H8 is
4. Which compound would be expected to show the most strain per -CH2- ?
5. Which of the statements below correctly describes the chair conformations of trans-1,2-dimethylcylcohexane?
a. The two chair conformations are identical in energy
b. The higher energy conformation contains one axial methyl and one equatorial methyl group
c. The lower energy conformation contains two axial methyl groups
d. The lower energy conformation contains two equatorial methyl groups.
1. b. 2-methylpentane < 2,3-dimethylbutane < n-hexane
2. d. It is non-polar and water insoluble
Note:1. structure with ...
5 Chemistry Problems on alkanes
Hydrocarbon Chemistry Problems
1. For the compound, 1,2-dibromoethane, the most stable conformation would be
a. eclipsed (0 degrees)
b. gauche (60 degrees)
c. eclipsed (90 degrees)
d. anti (120 degrees)
2. The compound, 1,3-dimethylcyclobutane, is a constitutional isomer of which of the following?
3. The correct name for the following compound is
(CH3CH2)2 CH CH2 CH2-CH2-CH3
4. An alkane (not cyclic) contains 12 carbons. The number of hydrogens is, therefore,
5.A hydrocarbon with no double or triple bonds is called an
d. aromatic hydrocarbon