What is the total number of p electrons in a single (ground state) P atom?
Electron configuration of P is [Ne]3s2 3p3
Atomic number of Phosphorous is 15
------- K --- L --- M ---N
P15 >>--2-----8-----5 ---
The most inner K-shell can ...
More effective than outer shell electrons in shielding
Please see the attached file for full problem description.
1. Why are inner shell electrons more effective than outer shell electrons in shielding?
Why is the energy diagram for multi electron atoms different from that of the hydrogen atom?
2. How many electrons in a single atom can have the following quantum numbers?
n = 2 n = 3, l = 2 n = 4, l = 1 n = 3 n = 3, l = 1, ml = - 1 n = 2, l = 1, ml = 0, ms = + ½
3. Use Pauli's Exclusion Principle, the Aufbau Principle, and Hund's rule to write the correct ground state configurations for:
Zn Si Br Fe+2 Mg+2 O-1
The following electronic configurations are incorrect; write each correctly for the ground state, and identify the element.
[He]2s3 1s12s12p7 [He]2s12p7 [Ar]4s23d34p6 [Kr]4d2 [Kr]3s23p63d3
4. Write B (basic), A (acidic), or amp (amphoteric) beside each of the following oxides:
MgO SO3 Al2O3 N2O5
Write P (paramagnetic) or D (diamagnetic) beside each of the following ions:
Na+1 Fe+2 Zn+2 O-1
5. Write the number of valence electrons beside each of the following.
Cl Fe N V
In each pair circle the most metallic: Na or Al; Pb or Ge. In each pair circle the least metallic: Bi or As; Te or BrView Full Posting Details