Leucine is an essential amino acid with the systematic name 2-amino-3-methylpentanoic acid. It has pKa1=2.36 and pKa2=9.60
1. Draw the condensed structure for leucine, and label all chirality centers with an asterisk.
2. Draw a Fischer projection of L-leucine and label the chirality center(s) as R or S.
3. What is the pI of leucine?
4. Draw the structure of the predominant form of leucine at pH=1.50
5. Leucine is described as an essential amino acid. What does this mean?
6. Show how leucine might be synthesized using the Knowles enantioselective synthesis.
7. Show the alkyl halide you would use to prepare leucine by the amidomalonate method© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 9, 2019, 9:34 pm ad1c9bdddf
This response answers questions based on the amino acid Leucine.