a. KOH b. HCl
c. Ba(OH)2 d. H3PO4
2. Calculate the pH of the following solutions with the given [H+] or [OH-] and indicate whether it is an acid or base:
a. [OH-] = 0.01
b. [H+] = 0.001
c. [OH-] = 0.00001
3. Calculate the molarity of the following solutions
a. 25 grams of KNO3 dissolved to make 300 ml of solution
b. 50 grams of C5H10O5 dissolved to make 400 ml of solution
a. If 200 ml of NaOH of unknown concentration with a methyl red indicator present is
titrated with [0.250 M] H2SO4, the yellow solution turns red after 40.5 ml of the H2SO4
is added. What is the molarity of the NaOH solution?
b. If 300 ml of H2SO4 of unknown concentration with a methyl orange indicator present
is titrated with [0.200 M] Mg(OH)2, the red solution turns yellow after 30.6 ml of the
Mg(OH)2 is added. What is the molarity of the H2SO4 solution?
Label each of the following as an acid, base or salt, explaining your answer:
a. KOH: KOH will abstract a proton, this is correctly defined as Lewis base.
b. HCl : HCl will tend to donate a proton, this is correctly defined as Lewis acid
c. Ba(OH)2 will abstract 2 proton, so it's base.
d. H3PO4 will tend to donate 3 proton, so it's acid.
e. FeSO4 : Salt will not donate a proton or abstract a proton. Thus, when mix with liquid, it will dissolve and separate into Fe+ and SO4+. However, together, they will form a ...
Acids, bases, salts, pH and concentration solution are determined.
1. Equal molar amounts of hydrochloric acid and potassium hydroxide are mixed together in water. Is the resulting solution acidic, basic, or neutral?
2. Equal molar amounts of hypochlorous acid and sodium cyanide are mixed together in water. Is the resulting solution acidic, basic, or neutral? Ka hypochlorous acid = 3.5 x 10-8 ; Ka hydrocyanic acid = 4.9 x 10-10
3. Equal molar amounts of benzoic acid and sodium acetate are mixed together in water. Is the resulting solution acidic, basic, or neutral? Ka benzoic acid = 6.3 x 10-5 ; Ka acetic acid = 1.7 x 10-5
4. Suppose you want to make an acetic acid-sodium acetate buffer solution that maintains a pH of 5.00. How many grams of sodium acetate should be dissolved in 1.00 L of 1.150 M acetic acid? Ka acetic acid = 1.7 x 10-5
5. Which of the following, when added to water, will give a solution that has a pH > 7 : NaClO4 LiNO2 , NiCl2, Sr(NO3)2View Full Posting Details